Faculty of Engineering and Natural Sciences
Faculty Member, Mechatronics Engineering
Faculty Member, Manufacturing Engineering
Director of Control, Vision and Robotics (CVR) Research Lab
Senior Researcher at SU-IMC
Phone: +90-216-483 9549
Dr. Ünel's research interests are computer vision, machine/deep learning, control systems and robotics. He has been conducting theoretical and applied research on various problems in automotive, aerospace, biomedical, defense and manufacturing. Applications include, but not limited to, autonomous driving, predictive maintenance, motion/gait analysis, UAVs, structural health monitoring (SHM) and robotic manufacturing.
PhD in Electrical Sciences and Computer Engineering, Brown University, Providence, RI, USA, 1999
MS in Applied Mathematics, Brown University, Providence, RI, USA, 1998
MS in Systems and Control Engineering, Bogazici University, Istanbul, Turkey, 1996
BS in Electrical and Electronics Engineering, Bogazici University, Istanbul, Turkey 1994
Sabanci University, Faculty of Engineering and Natural Sciences
o Professor, 2011-
o Associate Professor, 2005 - 2011
o Assistant Professor, 2004 - 2005
Gebze Institute of Technology, Department of Computer Engineering
o Assistant Professor, 2001 - 2004
Yale University, Department of Electrical and Computer Engineering
o Postdoctoral Research Associate, Center for Computational Vision and Control, New Haven, CT, USA, 1999 - 2001
Brown University, Department of Electrical Engineering
o Postdoctoral Research Associate, Laboratory for Engineering Man-Machine Systems, Providence, RI, USA, 1999 - 2001
1. Construction Site Autonomy, Ford Otosan, 2020-2022, Role: PI
2. Havacılık/Uzay Uygulamaları için Otomatik Fiber Serme Yöntemi ile Tasarım, Üretim, Kalite Kontrol Yöntemlerinin Geliştirilmesi ve Geliştirilen Yöntemlerin Doğrulanması, TUBITAK 1003, Project No. 118M859, 2020-2023, Role: Researcher
3. Sabancı Üniversitesi - Ford Otomotiv Sanayi A.Ş. Yapay Zeka Alanında Doktoralı Personel Yetiştirme Projesi, TUBITAK 2244, Project No. 118C061, 2019-2023, Role: PI
4. Makina Öğrenme Algoritmalarının Otomotiv Kontrol Uygulamalarında Kullanımı, Ford Otosan, 2018-2019, Role: PI
5. Development of Position and Orientation Tracking System and Vibration Suppression System for Robotic Machining, TUBITAK 1003, Project No. 217M078, 2018-2021, Role: Advisor
6. Computer Vision and Control Systems for Autonomous Driving, Ford Otosan, 2018-2019, Role: PI
7. Havza Bilgi Sistemi Geliştirilmesi, TUBITAK 1003, Project No. 115Y008, 2016-2019, Role: Researcher
8. Airpath Control Methods for Diesel Engines, Ford Otosan, 2015-2018, Role: PI
9. System Identification Methods for Optimizing Diesel Engine Calibration Process, Ford Otosan, 2014-2018, Role: PI
10. Hidrodinamik Kavitasyona Dayanan Medikal Uygulamalar İçin Kullanılacak Ulusal Endoskopik Cihaz Tasarımı ve Geliştirilmesi, TUBITAK 1003, Project No. 113S092, 2013-2016, Role: Researcher
11. National Wind Energy Systems Project: Design, Development and Prototype Testing of Novel Turbine Systems, Energy Ministry of Turkey and TUBITAK, Project No. 110G010, 2011-2013, Role: Leader of the System Modeling Group
12. Mechanical Design, Prototyping and Flight Control of an Unmanned Autonomous Aerial Vehicle, TUBITAK-107M179, 2007-2010, Role: PI
13. Bilateral Control Systems with Time Delay Compensation, TUBITAK/NSF International Project-106M533, 2008-2010, Role: PI
14. Novel Approaches in Audio-Visual Speech Recognition, TUBITAK-107E015, 2007-2010, Role: Researcher
15. Integrated Visual Servoing and Force Approach to Micro-Object Manipulation, Sabanci University Internal Grant- IACF06-00417, 2006-2008, Role: PI
16. Design, Construction and Control of Biped Humanoid Robot, TUBITAK-106E040, 2007-2009, Role: Researcher
17. Open Structure Microassembly Workstation, Agency: DPT/GYTE-EACF05-00268, 2005-2007, Role: Researcher
18. Reverse Engineering and Modeling of Superalloy Gas Turbine Blades, Agency: TUBITAK-MAM (TUBITAK Marmara Research Center), EACF04-00269, 2004-2006, Role: Co-PI.
19. Automatic Recognition of Hand Written Texts and Signatures, Gebze Institute of Technology Internal Grant: BAP-2003A23, 2003-2004, Role: PI
20. Coordinated Motion of Natural and Man-Made Groups, NSF, Grant No. 9980058, 1999-2001, Yale University, Role: Postdoctoral Researcher
21. Reactive Switching Strategies for the Control of Uninhabited Air Vehicles, DARPA-SEC project, 1999-2001, Yale University, Role: Postdoctoral Researcher
22. New Algebraic Methods for Simplifying the Design and Measurement of Sculptured Shapes, NSF, Grant No. 9820804, 1999-2001, Brown University, Role: Postdoctoral Researcher
23. A New Implicit Polynomial Technology for Advanced Manufacturing, NSF International Grant, Grant No. 9731598, 1998-2001, Brown University, Role: Researcher
ENS206: Systems Modeling and Control
ME303: Control Systems Design
ME403: Introduction to Robotics
ME425: Autonomous Mobile Robotics
EE417: Computer Vision
EE524: Digital Control
ME525: Autonomous Mobile Robotics
EE528: Nonlinear Control Systems
EE529: Vision Based Control
EE569: 3D Vision
EE571: Linear Systems
EE629: Geometric Modeling
EE672: System Identification
Diyar Khalis Bilal (PhD)
Naida Fetic (PhD)
Eren Aydemir (PhD)
Mehmet Emin Mumcuoğlu (PhD)
Mohammad Taleb Zamzam (PhD)
Alper Gün (PhD)
Nima Jafarzadeh (PhD)
Mehmet Fatih Demirel (MS)
Yarkın Hocaoğlu (MS)
Selim Ahmet İz (MS)
1. Robust Hovering and Trajectory Tracking Control of a Quadrotor Helicopter Using Acceleration Feedback and a Novel Disturbance Observer
Hammad Zaki, PhD Thesis, Sabanci University, July 2019
2. Flexible and Robust Control of Heavy-Duty Diesel Engine Airpath Using Data Driven Disturbance Observers and GPR Models
Volkan Aran, PhD Thesis, Sabanci University, July 2019
3. Data Driven Nonlinear Dynamic Models for Predicting Heavy-Duty Diesel Engine Torque and Combustion Emissions
Gökhan Alcan, PhD Thesis, Sabanci University, July 2019
4. Stabilization and Tracking Control of Pan-Tilt Platforms Using Novel Estimators and Acceleration Based Robust Control Techniques
Sanem Evren, PhD Thesis, Sabanci University, July 2017
5. Design, Construction and Flight Control of a Quad Tilt-Wing Unmanned Aerial Vehicle
Ertuğrul Çetinsoy, PhD Thesis, Sabancı University, August 2010
1. A Novel Coordination Framework for Multi-Robot Systems
Mohammad Taleb Zamzam, MS Thesis, Sabanci University, July 2019
2. Driving Behavior Classification for Heavy-Duty Vehicles Using LSTM Networks
Mehmet Emin Mumcuoğlu, MS Thesis, Sabanci University, July 2019
3. Modeling and Nonlinear Adaptivce Control of an Aerial Manipulation System
Emre Yılmaz, MS Thesis, Sabanci University, July 2019
4. Improving Human Action Recognition Using Decision Level Fusion of Classifiers Trained with Depth and Intertial Data
Zain Fuad, MS Thesis, Sabanci University, 2018
5. An ANN Based Combined Classifier Approach for Facial Emotion Recognition
Ekin Yağış, MS Thesis, Sabanci University, 2018
6. Angular Motion Estimation and Its Application to the Stabilization of a Ballbot
Fırat Yavuz, MS Thesis, Sabanci University, 2016
7. Novel Vision Based Estimation Techniques for the Analysis of Cavitation Bubbles
Gökhan Alcan, MS Thesis, Sabanci University, 2015
8. Nonlinear Hierarchical Adaptive Control of a Quad Tilt-Wing UAV
Ahmet Eren Demirel, MS Thesis, Sabanci University, 2015
9. Human Action Recognition Using 3D Joint Information and Pyramidal HOOFD Features
Barış Can Üstündağ, MS Thesis, Sabanci University, 2014
10. Fast and Accurate Mosaicing Techniques for Aerial Images of Quasi-Planar Scenes
Alper Yıldırım, MS Thesis, Sabanci University, 2014
11. Visualization and Image Based Characterization of Hydrodynamic Cavity Bubbles for Kidney Stone Treatment
Doğan Üzüşen, MS Thesis, Sabanci University, 2014
12. Developing Object Detection, Tracking and Image Mosaicing Algorithms for Visual Surveillance
Taygun Kekeç, MS Thesis, Sabanci University, 2013
13. Metric and Appearance Based Visual SLAM for Mobile Robots
Caner Şahin, MS Thesis, Sabanci University, 2013
14. A New Coordination Framework for Multi-UAV Formation Control
Mehmet Ali Güney, MS Thesis, Sabanci University, 2013
15. UAV Based Group Coordination of UGVs
Soner Ulun, MS Thesis, Sabancı University, 2013
16. Modeling, Control and Simulation of a Prototype Wind Turbine Using S4WT
Sanem Evren, MS Thesis, Sabancı University, 2012
17. Nonlinear Control of a Quad Tilt-Wing UAV
Serhat Dikyar, MS Thesis, Sabancı University, 2011
18. An Observer Based Approach to Force Reflecting Bilateral Teleoperation
Duruhan Özçelik, MS Thesis, Sabancı University, 2011
19. Development of an Automated Sanding System
Fatih Mutluel, MS Thesis (LFI Program), Sabancı University, 2011
20. Composite Prototyping and Vision Based Hierarchical Control of a Quad Tilt-Wing UAV
Efe Sırımoğlu, MS Thesis, Sabancı University, 2010
21. Delay Compensation in Bilateral Teleoperation Using Predictor Observers
Tuğba Leblebici, MS Thesis, Sabancı University, 2010
22. GPS Based Position Control and Waypoint Navigation of a Quad Tilt-Wing UAV
Cevdet Hançer, MS Thesis, Sabancı University, 2010
23. Modeling and Control of a New Unmanned Aerial Vehicle (SUAVI) with Tilt-Wing Mechanism
Kaan Taha Öner, MS Thesis, Sabancı University, 2009
24. Motion Estimation of Planar Curves and Their Alignment Using Visual Servoing
Ahmet Yasin Yazıcıoğlu, MS Thesis, Sabancı University, 2009
25. Statistical Facial Feature Extraction and Lip Segmentation
Mustafa Berkay Yılmaz, MS Thesis, Sabancı University, 2009 (Co-Supervisor)
26. Novel Estimation and Control Techniques in Micromanipulation Using Vision and Force Feedback
Hakan Bilen, MS Thesis, Sabancı University, 2008
27. 3D Reconstruction, Classification and Mechanical Characterization of Microstructures
Muhammet Ali Hocaoğlu, MS Thesis, Sabancı University, 2008
28. Formation Control of Multiple Mobile Robots Using Parametric and Implicit Representations
Yeşim Hümay Esin, MS Thesis, Sabancı University, 2008
29. Visually Aided Force Control with Fuzzy Parameter Tuning
Berk Çallı, MS Thesis, Sabancı University, 2008 (Co-Supervisor)
30. Model Free Visual Servoing in Macro and Micro Domain Robotic Applications
Erol Özgür, MS Thesis, Sabancı University, 2007
31. Automation of Relaxation-Retraction Measurement
Zeynel Abidin Fincan, MS Thesis (LFI Program), Sabanci University, 2007
32. Design and Implementation of a Vision System for Microassembly Workstation
Eray Doğan, MS Thesis, Sabancı University, 2006
33. Modeling and Control of the Coordinated Motion of a Group of Autonomous Mobile Robots
Nusrettin Güleç, MS Thesis, Sabancı University, 2005
34. A Sliding Mode Approach to Visual Motion Estimation
Burak Yılmaz, MS Thesis, Sabancı University, 2005 (Co-Supervisor)
35. Different Approaches on the Implementation of Implicit Polynomials in Visual Tracking
Burak Kemal Yöndem, MS Thesis, Sabancı University, 2005 (Co-Supervisor)
36. Affine Invariant Normalization and Modeling of 2D/3D Objects Using EFD Based Implicit Polynomials
Sait Şener, MS Thesis, Gebze Institute of Technology, 2004
37. Character Recognition Using Closed-Bounded Algebraic Curves
Sema Candemir, MS Thesis, Gebze Institute of Technology, 2004
38. Decomposition of Implicit Polynomial Equations for Object Recognition and Comparison
Ömer Kayaaltı, MS Thesis, Gebze Institute of Technology, 2003
39. Determination of Affine Invariants of 2D Objects and Application to Object Recognition
Osman Kurt, MS Thesis, Gebze Institute of Technology, 2003
1. Deep Neural Network Algorithms for Heavy Duty Truck Applications, A. Örgen, O. İlter, June 2019.
2. SLAM Using Visual and Inertial Data, S. İ. Bayraktar, Sabanci University, June 2019.
3. Design and Development of Vision Based Localization Algorithms for Automatic Parking, Ş. S. Serbest, M. A. Düzçeker, Sabanci University, June 2018.
4. Vision Based Obstacle Detection and Avoidance for Autonomous Vehicles, B. Aksoy, B. Dilekoğlu, Sabanci University, June 2018.
5. Driver Fatigue Detection System, N. Hüseyin, H. Çalışkan, Sabanci University, June 2018.
6. E-Traction Motor and Controller Design for an All-Electric Urban Transport Vehicle, A. Mahad, E. Ersen, O. Syed, T. Hammad, Sabanci University, June 2018.
7. Vision Based Vertical Take-Off and Landing of a Quadrotor onto Ground and Water, B. Yazıcıoğlu, B. C. Kocayan, T. Taşkıran, Sabanci University, June 2017.
8. Developing A Wearable Gadget For Improving Basketball Skills, C. Akşit, K. Arkan, İ. D. Gülmez, June 2017.
9. Acceleration Control of Stabilized Platforms, M. U. Özcan, S. Doran, Sabanci University, June 2017.
10. Design, Construction and Flight Control of a Camera Equipped Quadcopter, Y. M. Kıdil, H. K. Kara, Sabanci University, June 2016.
11. Design and Development of a GPS Aided Inertial Navigation System, O. Uzunyayla, Sabanci University, June 2016.
12. Kinect Based Position Control of a Nano Quadcopter, H. Buluttekin, A. Gül, Sabanci University, January 2016.
13. Optimizing Diesel Engine Calibration Process, E. Ünlü, Ş. Ö. Turan, Sabanci University, June 2015.
14. Coordinated Motion of Multiagent Systems, E. Tever, Sabanci University, June 2015.
15. Design and Construction of a Small Autonomous Quadrocopter that Performs Aggressive Maneuvers, S. Hanaylı, Sabanci University, June 2013.
16. Coordinated Motion of Multiple Autonomous Agents, M. Bucak, Sabancı University, June 2013.
17. Implementation of Visual SLAM Algorithms on Mobile Robots, H. Aydoğuş, Sabancı University, June 2013.
18. Vision Based Landing of a Quadrocopter, C. Ergenç, Sabancı University, June 2013.
19. Control of Wind Energy Systems, A. E. Demirel, Sabancı University, January 2013.
20. High Level Control of a UAV Using an Onboard Microcomputer, B. C. Üstündağ, D. Üzüşen, Sabancı University, June 2012.
21. ARM Based Microcontrollers for Low-Level Control of Unmanned Aerial Vehicles, H. Kazancı, E. Görgün, Sabancı University, June 2012.
22. Developing Graphical User Interface for an Unmanned Aerial Vehicle, G. Yılmaz, Sabancı University, June 2012.
23. Vision Based Coordination of Mobile Robots, E. Karadere, M. G. Özer, Ö. Mutlu, Sabancı University, June 2012.
24. Design and Prototyping of a Small Sized Quadrotor, C. Karahasonoğlu, O. Gözek, C. Özenel, Sabancı University, June 2011.
25. Hierarchical Control of a Quadrotors Using GPS and Vision, O. Y. Çokay, Sabancı University, June 2011.
26. Time Delay Compensation in Bilateral Teleoperation, E. Çalışgan, Sabancı University, June 2010.
27. Design and Prototyping of a Quadrotor, A. Şahinöz, M. Gülhan, Sabancı University, June 2010.
28. Mechanical Design of a Tilt-Wing UAV, O. Aydoğdu, Sabancı University, June 2010.
29. Sensor and Actuator Integration of a UAV for Autonomous Flight Control, Y. Tüzel, E. Tanrıverdi, Sabancı University, June 2010.
30. Actuator Tests for the Control of a Quadrotor, Ö. R. Kemaloğlu, A. Cezzar, D. H. Aktaş, Sabancı University, June 2010.
31. Autonomous Mobile Robots with Vision Sensing, S. Dikyar, F. Mutluel and C. Çakır, Sabancı University, June 2009.
32. Modeling and Control of an Unmanned Aerial Vehicle (UAV) with Tilt-Wing Mechanism, T. Ayken, Sabancı University, June 2009.
33. Maze Solving Robot, O. O. Eroğlu and İ. H. Altuntaş, Sabancı University, June 2009.
34. Wave Based Control of a Toothed Belt System, E. C. Arslan, Sabancı University, January 2009.
35. Multi-camera Tracking of Fish in Aquarium, S. Satır, Sabancı University, June 2008.
36. Design and Construction of an Experimental Facility for Unmanned Aerial Vehicles, C. Hançer, E. Çalıkoğlu, E. Duman, E. Baran, Sabancı University, June 2008.
37. Audio-Visual Speech Recognition, H. Şirin, Sabancı University, June 2007.
38. Visual Control of a Direct Drive Robot, F. M. Özkeskin, E. Arslanturk, O. Kurugöl and G. Berkan, Sabancı University, June 2006.
39. Ball Cathing Direct Drive SCARA Robot, H. A. Varol, A. F. Tabak, M. Fidanoğlu and U. Tümerdem, Sabancı University, June 2005.
40. A Modular Snake Robot with Pneumatic Pistons, M. Degirmenci, G. T. Kursun, İ. K. Gunes, Sabanci University, June 2005.
41. A Modular Snake Robot with Pneumatic Cylinders, M. Yilmaz, Y. Kulak, S. Dundar, Sabanci University, June 2005.
42. Turbine Blade Reverse Engineering, A. M. Vuruşkan and N. D. Bozgeyik, Sabancı University, June 2005.
43. Visual Servoing of Nonholonomic Mobile Robots, C. Şahin, A. M. Oymagil, Sabancı University, June 2005.