Mechatronics Engineering Program Coordinator
Faculty of Engineering and Natural Sciences
Faculty Member, Mechatronics Engineering
Faculty Member, Manufacturing Engineering
Phone: +90-216-483 9549
Mustafa Ünel received his B.S. in EE and M.S. in Systems and Control, both from Bogazici University in 1994 and 1996. He received a second M.S. degree in Applied Mathematics and his Ph.D. in Electrical Sciences and Computer Engineering from Brown University (USA) in 1998 and 1999. He held postdoctoral positions at Brown and Yale Universities from 1999 to 2001. He then returned to Turkey and joined the Department of Computer Engineering at Gebze Institute of Technology as an Assistant Professor in 2001. During 2001-2004, he taught many undergraduate and graduate courses on computer vision, control, robotics, graphics and mathematics at several state and private universities including Bogazici, Sabanci and Yeditepe Universities. He then joined the Faculty of Engineering and Natural Sciences at Sabanci University as a full-time faculty member in September 2004. Dr. Unel became an Associate Professor in 2005 and a Full Professor in 2011.
Dr. Ünel's primary research interests are in computational vision, control and robotics. In vision area, he is interested in 2D/3D shape modeling, object recognition, visual tracking, structure from motion, image registration and mosaicing, and multi-camera surveillance systems. His control interests include modeling and estimation of dynamical systems, and analysis and synthesis of linear and nonlinear multivariable control systems. In robotics, he is interested in perception, sensor/data fusion, VSLAM, visual servoing, unmanned aerial vehicles (UAV), multiple autonomous robots (land, aerial and underwater) and micromanipulation. He has been involved in several research projects in various capacities and he has supervised 35 graduate students. He is a member of IEEE and serves as an associate editor for Internationl Journal of Mechatronics and Manufacturing Systems.
Ph.D. in Electrical Sciences and Computer Engineering, Brown University, Providence, RI, USA, 1999
M.S. in Applied Mathematics, Brown University, Providence, RI, USA, 1998
M.S. in Systems and Control Engineering, Bogazici University, Istanbul, Turkey, 1996
B.S. in Electrical and Electronics Engineering, Bogazici University, Istanbul, Turkey 1994
Sabanci University, Faculty of Engineering and Natural Sciences
o Professor, 2011-
o Associate Professor, 2005 - 2011
o Assistant Professor, 2004 - 2005
Gebze Institute of Technology, Department of Computer Engineering
o Assistant Professor, 2001 - 2004
Yale University, Department of Electrical and Computer Engineering
o Postdoctoral Research Associate, Center for Computational Vision and Control, New Haven, CT, USA, 1999 - 2001
Brown University, Department of Electrical Engineering
o Postdoctoral Research Associate, Laboratory for Engineering Man-Machine Systems, Providence, RI, USA, 1999 - 2001
1. System Identification Methods for Diesel Engine Calibration Process - Phase II, Ford Otosan, 2016-2017, Role: PI
2. Havza Bilgi Sistemi Geliştirilmesi, TUBITAK 1003, Project No. 115Y008, 2016-2019, Role: Researcher
3. Airpath Control Methods for Diesel Engines, Ford Otosan, 2015-2018, Role: PI
4. System Identification Methods for Diesel Engine Calibration Process - Phase I, Ford Otosan, 2014-2015, Role: PI
5. Hidrodinamik Kavitasyona Dayanan Medikal Uygulamalar İçin Kullanılacak Ulusal Endoskopik Cihaz Tasarımı ve Geliştirilmesi, TUBITAK 1003, Project No. 113S092, 2013-2016, Role: Researcher
6. National Wind Energy Systems Project: Design, Development and Prototype Testing of Novel Turbine Systems, Agency: Energy Ministry of Turkey and TUBITAK, Project No. 110G010, 2011-2013, Role: Leader of the System Modeling Group
7. Design, Development, Prototyping and Testing of Ultra High Temperature Actuators for Gas Turbine and Aircraft Engine Active Clearance Control, Agency: ATARD Defense & Aerospace Research and Development Inc., Project No. EACF10-729, 2010-2012, Role: Co-PI
8. Mechanical Design, Prototyping and Flight Control of an Unmanned Autonomous Aerial Vehicle, Agency: TUBITAK-107M179, 2007-2010, Role: PI
9. Bilateral Control Systems with Time Delay Compensation, Agency: TUBITAK/NSF International Project-106M533, 2008-2010, Role: PI
10. Novel Approaches in Audio-Visual Speech Recognition, Agency: TUBITAK-107E015, 2007-2010, Role: Researcher
11. Integrated Visual Servoing and Force Approach to Micro-Object Manipulation, Sabanci University Internal Grant- IACF06-00417, 2006-2008, Role: PI
12. Design, Construction and Control of Biped Humanoid Robot, Agency: TUBITAK-106E040, 2007-2009, Role: Researcher
13. Open Structure Microassembly Workstation, Agency: DPT/GYTE-EACF05-00268, 2005-2007, Role: Researcher
14. Reverse Engineering and Modeling of Superalloy Gas Turbine Blades, Agency: TUBITAK-MAM (TUBITAK Marmara Research Center), EACF04-00269, 2004-2006, Role: Co-PI.
15. Automatic Recognition of Hand Written Texts and Signatures, Gebze Institute of Technology Internal Grant: BAP-2003A23, 2003-2004, Role: PI
16. Coordinated Motion of Natural and Man-Made Groups, Agency: NSF, Grant No. 9980058, 1999-2001, Yale University, Role: Postdoctoral Researcher
17. Reactive Switching Strategies for the Control of Uninhabited Air Vehicles, Agency: DARPA-SEC project, 1999-2001, Yale University, Role: Postdoctoral Researcher
18. New Algebraic Methods for Simplifying the Design and Measurement of Sculptured Shapes, Agency: NSF, Grant No. 9820804, 1999-2001, Brown University, Role: Postdoctoral Researcher
19. A New Implicit Polynomial Technology for Advanced Manufacturing, Agency: NSF International Grant, Grant No. 9731598, 1998-2001, Brown University, Role: Researcher
ENS206: Systems Modeling and Control
ME303: Control Systems Design
ME403: Introduction to Robotics
ME425: Autonomous Mobile Robotics
EE417: Computer Vision
EE524: Digital Control
ME525: Autonomous Mobile Robotics
EE528: Nonlinear Control Systems
EE529: Vision Based Control
EE569: 3D Vision
EE571: Linear Systems
EE629: Geometric Modeling
EE672: System Identification
Diyar Khalis Bilal (PhD)
Gökhan Alcan (PhD)
Hammad Zaki (PhD)
Volkan Aran (PhD)
Talha Boz (PhD)
Ekin Yağış (MS)
Zain Fuad (MS)
1. Stabilization and Tracking Control of Pan-Tilt Platforms Using Novel Estimators and Acceleration Based Robust Control Techniques
Sanem Evren, PhD Thesis, Sabanci University, 2017.
2. Angular Motion Estimation and Its Application to the Stabilization of a Ballbot
Fırat Yavuz, MS Thesis, Sabanci University, 2016.
3. Novel Vision Based Estimation Techniques for the Analysis of Cavitation Bubbles
Gökhan Alcan, MS Thesis, Sabanci University, 2015.
4. Nonlinear Hierarchical Adaptive Control of a Quad Tilt-Wing UAV
Ahmet Eren Demirel, MS Thesis, Sabanci University, 2015.
5. Human Action Recognition Using 3D Joint Information and Pyramidal HOOFD Features
Barış Can Üstündağ, MS Thesis, Sabanci University, 2014
6. Fast and Accurate Mosaicing Techniques for Aerial Images of Quasi-Planar Scenes
Alper Yıldırım, MS Thesis, Sabanci University, 2014
7. Visualization and Image Based Characterization of Hydrodynamic Cavity Bubbles for Kidney Stone Treatment
Doğan Üzüşen, MS Thesis, Sabanci University, 2014
8. Developing Object Detection, Tracking and Image Mosaicing Algorithms for Visual Surveillance
Taygun Kekeç, MS Thesis, Sabanci University, 2013
9. Metric and Appearance Based Visual SLAM for Mobile Robots
Caner Şahin, MS Thesis, Sabanci University, 2013
10. A New Coordination Framework for Multi-UAV Formation Control
Mehmet Ali Güney, MS Thesis, Sabanci University, 2013
11. UAV Based Group Coordination of UGVs
Soner Ulun, MS Thesis, Sabancı University, 2013
12. Modeling, Control and Simulation of a Prototype Wind Turbine Using S4WT
Sanem Evren, MS Thesis, Sabancı University, 2012
13. Nonlinear Control of a Quad Tilt-Wing UAV
Serhat Dikyar, MS Thesis, Sabancı University, 2011
14. An Observer Based Approach to Force Reflecting Bilateral Teleoperation
Duruhan Özçelik, MS Thesis, Sabancı University, 2011
15. Development of an Automated Sanding System
Fatih Mutluel, MS Thesis (LFI Program), Sabancı University, 2011
16. Design, Construction and Flight Control of a Quad Tilt-Wing Unmanned Aerial Vehicle
Ertuğrul Çetinsoy, PhD Thesis, Sabancı University, 2010
17. Composite Prototyping and Vision Based Hierarchical Control of a Quad Tilt-Wing UAV
Efe Sırımoğlu, MS Thesis, Sabancı University, 2010
18. Delay Compensation in Bilateral Teleoperation Using Predictor Observers
Tuğba Leblebici, MS Thesis, Sabancı University, 2010
19. GPS Based Position Control and Waypoint Navigation of a Quad Tilt-Wing UAV
Cevdet Hançer, MS Thesis, Sabancı University, 2010
20. Modeling and Control of a New Unmanned Aerial Vehicle (SUAVI) with Tilt-Wing Mechanism
Kaan Taha Öner, MS Thesis, Sabancı University, 2009
21. Motion Estimation of Planar Curves and Their Alignment Using Visual Servoing
Ahmet Yasin Yazıcıoğlu, MS Thesis, Sabancı University, 2009
22. Statistical Facial Feature Extraction and Lip Segmentation
Mustafa Berkay Yılmaz, MS Thesis, Sabancı University, 2009 (Co-Supervisor)
23. Novel Estimation and Control Techniques in Micromanipulation Using Vision and Force Feedback
Hakan Bilen, MS Thesis, Sabancı University, 2008
24. 3D Reconstruction, Classification and Mechanical Characterization of Microstructures
Muhammet Ali Hocaoğlu, MS Thesis, Sabancı University, 2008
25. Formation Control of Multiple Mobile Robots Using Parametric and Implicit Representations
Yeşim Hümay Esin, MS Thesis, Sabancı University, 2008
26. Visually Aided Force Control with Fuzzy Parameter Tuning
Berk Çallı, MS Thesis, Sabancı University, 2008 (Co-Supervisor)
27. Model Free Visual Servoing in Macro and Micro Domain Robotic Applications
Erol Özgür, MS Thesis, Sabancı University, 2007
28. Automation of Relaxation-Retraction Measurement
Zeynel Abidin Fincan, MS Thesis (LFI Program), Sabanci University, 2007
29. Design and Implementation of a Vision System for Microassembly Workstation
Eray Doğan, MS Thesis, Sabancı University, 2006
30. Modeling and Control of the Coordinated Motion of a Group of Autonomous Mobile Robots
Nusrettin Güleç, MS Thesis, Sabancı University, 2005
31. A Sliding Mode Approach to Visual Motion Estimation
Burak Yılmaz, MS Thesis, Sabancı University, 2005 (Co-Supervisor)
32. Different Approaches on the Implementation of Implicit Polynomials in Visual Tracking
Burak Kemal Yöndem, MS Thesis, Sabancı University, 2005 (Co-Supervisor)
33. Affine Invariant Normalization and Modeling of 2D/3D Objects Using EFD Based Implicit Polynomials
Sait Şener, MS Thesis, Gebze Institute of Technology, 2004
34. Character Recognition Using Closed-Bounded Algebraic Curves
Sema Candemir, MS Thesis, Gebze Institute of Technology, 2004
35. Decomposition of Implicit Polynomial Equations for Object Recognition and Comparison
Ömer Kayaaltı, MS Thesis, Gebze Institute of Technology, 2003
36. Determination of Affine Invariants of 2D Objects and Application to Object Recognition
Osman Kurt, MS Thesis, Gebze Institute of Technology, 2003
1. Design, Construction and Flight Control of a Camera Equipped Quadcopter, Y. M. Kıdil, H. K. Kara, Sabanci University, June 2016.
2. Design and Development of a GPS Aided Inertial Navigation System, O. Uzunyayla, Sabanci University, June 2016.
3. Kinect Based Position Control of a Nano Quadcopter, H. Buluttekin, A. Gül, Sabanci University, January 2016.
4. Optimizing Diesel Engine Calibration Process, E. Ünlü, Ş. Ö. Turan, Sabanci University, June 2015.
5. Coordinated Motion of Multiagent Systems, E. Tever, Sabanci University, June 2015.
6. Design and Construction of a Small Autonomous Quadrocopter that Performs Aggressive Maneuvers, S. Hanaylı, Sabanci University, June 2013.
7. Coordinated Motion of Multiple Autonomous Agents, M. Bucak, Sabancı University, June 2013.
8. Implementation of Visual SLAM Algorithms on Mobile Robots, H. Aydoğuş, Sabancı University, June 2013.
9. Vision Based Landing of a Quadrocopter, C. Ergenç, Sabancı University, June 2013.
10. Control of Wind Energy Systems, A. E. Demirel, Sabancı University, January 2013.
11. High Level Control of a UAV Using an Onboard Microcomputer, B. C. Üstündağ, D. Üzüşen, Sabancı University, June 2012.
12. ARM Based Microcontrollers for Low-Level Control of Unmanned Aerial Vehicles, H. Kazancı, E. Görgün, Sabancı University, June 2012.
13. Developing Graphical User Interface for an Unmanned Aerial Vehicle, G. Yılmaz, Sabancı University, June 2012.
14. Vision Based Coordination of Mobile Robots, E. Karadere, M. G. Özer, Ö. Mutlu, Sabancı University, June 2012.
15. Design and Prototyping of a Small Sized Quadrotor, C. Karahasonoğlu, O. Gözek, C. Özenel, Sabancı University, June 2011.
16. Hierarchical Control of a Quadrotors Using GPS and Vision, O. Y. Çokay, Sabancı University, June 2011.
17. Time Delay Compensation in Bilateral Teleoperation, E. Çalışgan, Sabancı University, June 2010.
18. Design and Prototyping of a Quadrotor, A. Şahinöz, M. Gülhan, Sabancı University, June 2010.
19. Mechanical Design of a Tilt-Wing UAV, O. Aydoğdu, Sabancı University, June 2010.
20. Sensor and Actuator Integration of a UAV for Autonomous Flight Control, Y. Tüzel, E. Tanrıverdi, Sabancı University, June 2010.
21. Actuator Tests for the Control of a Quadrotor, Ö. R. Kemaloğlu, A. Cezzar, D. H. Aktaş, Sabancı University, June 2010.
22. Autonomous Mobile Robots with Vision Sensing, S. Dikyar, F. Mutluel and C. Çakır, Sabancı University, June 2009.
23. Modeling and Control of an Unmanned Aerial Vehicle (UAV) with Tilt-Wing Mechanism, T. Ayken, Sabancı University, June 2009.
24. Maze Solving Robot, O. O. Eroğlu and İ. H. Altuntaş, Sabancı University, June 2009.
25. Wave Based Control of a Toothed Belt System, E. C. Arslan, Sabancı University, January 2009.
26. Multi-camera Tracking of Fish in Aquarium, S. Satır, Sabancı University, June 2008.
27. Design and Construction of an Experimental Facility for Unmanned Aerial Vehicles, C. Hançer, E. Çalıkoğlu, E. Duman, E. Baran, Sabancı University, June 2008.
28. Audio-Visual Speech Recognition, H. Şirin, Sabancı University, June 2007.
29. Visual Control of a Direct Drive Robot, F. M. Özkeskin, E. Arslanturk, O. Kurugöl and G. Berkan, Sabancı University, June 2006.
30. Ball Cathing Direct Drive SCARA Robot, H. A. Varol, A. F. Tabak, M. Fidanoğlu and U. Tümerdem, Sabancı University, June 2005.
31. A Modular Snake Robot with Pneumatic Pistons, M. Degirmenci, G. T. Kursun, İ. K. Gunes, Sabanci University, June 2005.
32. A Modular Snake Robot with Pneumatic Cylinders, M. Yilmaz, Y. Kulak, S. Dundar, Sabanci University, June 2005.
33. Turbine Blade Reverse Engineering, A. M. Vuruşkan and N. D. Bozgeyik, Sabancı University, June 2005.
34. Visual Servoing of Nonholonomic Mobile Robots, C. Şahin, A. M. Oymagil, Sabancı University, June 2005.
Caner Şahin (PhD Student, Imperial College, UK)
Alper Yıldırım (PhD Student, Georgia Institute of Technology, USA)
Taygun Kekeç (PhD Student, Delft University of Technology, Netherlands)
Soner Ulun (PhD Student, Nanyang Technological University, Singapore)
Serhat Dikyar (Aselsan, Ankara)
Duruhan Özçelik (Altınay Robot Technologies, Istanbul)
Fatih Mutluel (TÜBİTAK-MAM, Energy Institute)
Ertuğrul Çetinsoy (Assistant Professor, Istanbul Commerce University)
Efe Sırımoğlu (Aselsan, Ankara)
Cevdet Hançer (Unilever, Istanbul)
Tuğba Leblebici (TAI, Ankara)
Kaan T. Öner (Vistek ISRA Vision, Istanbul)
Ahmet Yasin Yazıcıoğlu (Postdoctoral Associate, MIT, USA)
Sarp Satır (PhD Student, Georgia Institute of Technology, USA)
Mustafa Berkay Yılmaz (PhD Student, Sabancı University)
Hakan Bilen (Postdoctoral Associate, University of Oxford, UK)
Muhammet Ali Hocaoğlu (TÜBİTAK-MAM)
Yeşim Hümay Esin (Robotics Engineer, GE Marmara Technology Center)
Berk Çallı (Postdoctoral Researcher at Yale University, CT, USA)
Erol Özgür (Postdoctoral Researcher at Blaise Pascal University, France)
Eray Doğan (Roketsan, Ankara/Istanbul)
Nusrettin Güleç (Aselsan, Ankara)
Burak Yılmaz (PhD student, Northeastern University)
Burak Kemal Yöndem (Turkcell, Istanbul)
Sema Candemir (Postdoctoral Researcher, Dept. of Computer Science, Univ. of Missouri-Columbia, USA)
Sait Şener (Nortel Netaş Telekomünikasyon A.Ş., Istanbul)
Ömer Kayaaltı (Faculty Member, Erciyes University, Kayseri)